Thursday, July 12, 2012

Tasty Sesame Tempeh


Being the only vegan in my house, I am constantly looking for ways to cook a vegan entree and a meat entree at the same time. Finding a marinade, cooking time and temperature, along with great taste that works for both is a challenge. This recipe easily fits the bill!

This recipe was originally designed for tilapia, but I have modified it to work well with tempeh. I really like Trader Joe's Organic Three Grain Tempeh.


First I slice the tempeh into small two-bite triangles. Then I simmer the slices in vegetable broth for about 10 minutes. Simmering the tempeh softens it and allows for more flavor absorption.









While your tempeh simmers, make your marinade. I double the recipe and marinate the tilapia in one dish and my tempeh in the other. If you like extra sauce, double again. This is a really forgiving recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup orange marmalade
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
      

Mix all your marinade ingredients, add the tempeh, turning once to evenly coat. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes. After marinating, remove the plastic wrap, and bake at 425 degrees for 9 to 11 minutes. 
Simple and tasty! Enjoy.              

No comments:

Post a Comment